It’s estimated that about 80% of those living at or below the poverty level have unmet legal needs. Another 40%-60% of middle-income Americans face the same obstacle. This is the justice gap… and we’re working to close it.
Florida Justice Technology Center is a registered 501c3 corporation that uses innovative technology to increase access to justice. To do this, we partner with other organizations within the access to justice community to create online tools and resources that help Florida’s most vulnerable populations navigate the civil justice system. And we’re seeing great results!
Examples of this include Florida Name Change, an instructional website that walks users through the process of changing their name and/or their gender marker on government documents. Since our launch in March 2018, we’ve seen more than 9,500 visitors to the site. In addition, more than 3,100 individual forms have been filled out and 357 of those have completed name change petition packets.
Other examples of our work include:
- Turning 18, an informational website that helps parents of developmentally disabled children plan for adulthood
- Florida Law Help, Florida’s statewide legal information website for civil issues
- A Low-Bono Portal (currently in development), for Jacksonville Area Legal Aid’s FLARE program
- Statewide Triage (currently in development), an online intake and triage system that assesses specific needs and provides individuals with appropriate legal services – be it online resources, do-it-yourself forms or referral to a legal aid attorney.
What is a Cy Pres Award?
When a class-action lawsuit is settled, a portion of the funds often goes unclaimed. Cy Pres awards allow these unclaimed settlement funds to be distributed to organizations that support or work within the interests of the class. French for “as close as possible,” a Cy Pres Award can be designated by the attorney representing the class and must also be approved by the presiding judge.
FJTC has been approved for this type of award and uses these funds to build and promote tools that help Floridians get access to the justice they deserve.
We Make it Easy!
We understand the effort needed to secure a Cy Pres Award and we’re happy to help. If you’re considering FJTC for a Cy Pres Award, we can provide:
- A sample order approving FJTC as a Cy Pres recipient.
- Project examples that the award would support.
- Senior staff to meet with counsel or provide testimony at hearings
- Additional documents, such as our 501(c)(3) tax determination letter.
By donating your Cy Pres Award to FJTC, you’re helping us continue to build these essential tools and bridge the justice gap.
For more information, please contact our Development Officer, Emily Fasnacht.